Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Road Less Traveled

We are going on a road trip to Colorado later this week for a family wedding, so our theme this week is called "Are We There Yet?" It's a week all about travel and cars.

I've ordered several items from the library this week that we picked up today, including several read-along books with CD's for the road and some books with travel games.

The weather was awesome so we headed outside to play and I used sidewalk chalk to create a road for my daughter (4) to "drive" on. She rode her scooter and a small ride-on car around the driveway. It wasn't quite big enough for her bike, but I could only use the top portion of our driveway because it turns into a huge, treacherous (says me) hill after that! It was also an easy way to keep her off the steep part with her wheeled toys! Ben (1) pushed a walker toy along the road too! Unfortunately, he got pretty mad at me when I tried to help guide him along the curves so I'll try it again on a sidewalk somewhere with a straighter road next time!

As a special snack today, we made Rocky ROAD Fudge! I found the recipe in a fun book called Indoor S'Mores and Other Tasty Treats For Special Occasions by Nick Fauchald. I tweaked it a bit to accommodate the ingredients we had on hand. Here's how we did it:

We melted 12 ounces of Almond Bark, then mixed in about a half cup of unsweetened baking cocoa. Molly (4) stirred in a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. I didn't have mini marshmallows so I cut some large ones into quarters and mixed those in, but we opted out of the walnuts. We poured the mixture into a greased pan and let it cool in the fridge for over an hour. The result wasn't quite the right texture, but it tasted just fine!

No comments: