Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Star Light, Star Bright

Today we started focusing on stars in the night sky. It is definitely one of the easier themes to stick with, as long as you have a star shaped cookie cutter (and I actually have about five of them in various sizes!) You can serve star-shaped toast, star-shaped sandwiches, star-shaped fruit, and star-shaped cheese. You can make star-shaped "chips" out of flour tortillas that you spray with cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. You can serve star-shaped pitas with hummus. The list goes on and on!

So far we have done a few of those but I really wanted to teach Molly a little about constellations. I checked out several books from the library that I hoped would be good, but mostly they were for older kids. Two that really stood out though were The Glow In the Dark Night Sky Book by Clint Hatchett and The Zoo In The Sky by Jacqueline Mitton.

I had her decorate an empty paper towel tube to use as a pretend telescope, in preparation for looking through a real one! We headed over to my brother's house to check out his telescope (which is a really cool one). Molly (4) and her cousin, also age four, got to look at the moon and a few stars. We did push bedtime back about 1.5 hours so it would get dark enough for the stars to come out since we were not in the country. Luckily, you can see the moon around 8pm when it's still light out so you don't necessarily have to sacrifice your schedule if you want to get out and look to the sky!


Now what I really want to find are some of those glow in the dark star stickers for Molly's ceiling, but I have yet to find any! Please let me know if you see any, hopefully around $5 or less!

No comments: