Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bottle Cap Sunshine Magnets

I had my birthday recently and got some great new craft stuff from my mom! One new thing I received was "Mod Podge Dimensional Magic" and I couldn't wait to use it! I came up with a new project to make with it, going along with our "Summer Sunshine" theme for the week: Bottle Cap Sunshine Magnets!


Here's what you'll need:

wooden craft sticks
clean bottle cap
yellow paint
yellow construction paper
magnetic strip
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic!

The first step for our magnets was to paint some craft sticks with yellow washable paint. You'll need three sticks per magnet.


While those are drying, trace around the bottle caps onto yellow construction paper and cut out those circles. I had Molly (5) draw a little smiley face on hers. Put a dab of glue in the bottle cap and press the yellow smiley faces down into them. Fill the bottle cap with the Mod Pod Dimensional Magic and allow everything to dry for several hours. At first the Mod Podge will look pretty solid but don't worry - you'll be able to see the design when it dries!



After it's dried, use glue or a hot glue gun (like me, the impatient one!); to create a start with your three yellow sticks. These will be the sun rays! Glue on your bottle cap right in the middle. Cut a magnetic strip to fit (if needed) and glue it to the back of the sunshine. Be sure you glue down the correct side of the magnet so it works! This little magnet looks so cute up on my fridge! I added Molly's name and "Summer 2012" to the back to make it a special keepsake!



No comments: