Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Halloween Zombie Brains for Dessert

The other night I was totally craving homemade strawberry shortcake. I started making some, but right before I stuck them in the oven I thought, "how could I make this Halloweenie??" That's when Zombie Brains was born!

Start with a regular shortcake made from a baking mix like Bisquick. The brand I use just called for melted butter, milk, and sugar so it's easy to throw together with regular pantry items. My 2-year old had fun mixing it up for me, and my five-year old was happy to taste the dough since there weren't any raw eggs in it.

Now mix in some green food coloring. It takes quite a few drops - maybe 12?  I kneaded it in wearing plastic gloves because the dough gets hard really quickly. Roll your dough into balls, about 2" in diameter. I made mine in varying sizes for each person that would be eating it - as in my son got a smaller one and I got a larger one. Flatten them a little and pop 'em in the oven per the instructions on your baking mix box. I baked mine for 11 minutes at 450 degrees.


While your shortcake is baking, begin prepping the strawberries. Cut them into several little slices and put them, along with plenty of sugar, into a Ziploc baggie. Mix it like you're helping your momma with Shake'n'Bake. The strawberries will get soft and a delicious syrup will form. Keep adding sugar and mixing as needed to create more syrup.  I actually had some strawberries already to go in the freezer from this summer that I defrosted for this recipe. This is a great way to freeze strawberries!

When the cakes are done, slice off the top and spoon on some strawberries to be the brains. I made the face by piping on melted chocolate from a sandwich bag. I actually used DELICIOUS dark chocolate from a recent chocolate tasting party I had through Dove Chocolate Discoveries. You can totally just use regular chocolate chips too!

Serve your brains with whipped topping and extra drizzled chocolate as desired. Now review the rules (a la' Zombieland) and dig in!


No comments: